Non-unionized farmworkers, whom the ALRB is trying to force to join the UFW, earn more than workers producing products or performing services for some of America’s most favorite, trendy companies.
They earn a lot more than farmworkers represented by the UFW.
The base pay for unskilled Gerawan farm laborers is $11.00 per hour, with the average Gerawan hourly field labor wage being $12.07. This is well above the U.S. minimum wage of $7.25 an hour, and the California minimum wage of $9.00 per hour. By contrast:
- Target pays its cashiers, nationally, at an average of $7.42 to $10.09 per hour.
- Home Depot forklift operators start out at a national average of $7.98 per hour.
- Nationally, Ralph’s Grocery Stores pays its meat wrappers a starting wage of $7.99 per hour.
- Ride operators at Knott’s Berry Farm earn as little as $8.49 an hour.
- Workers on UFW contracts at San Joaquin Tomato, Pacific Triple-E, and Papagni make a sub-minimum wage of $8.73 to $8.75 an hour, pre-tax, after UFW takes its share.
- Legoland pays its California “entertainment specialists” $9.00 per hour.
- Whole Foods pays its bakers as little as $9.10 an hour, and its cashers start out at $9.88 an hour.
- Macy’s pays its salespeople an average of $9.18 to $9.34 per hour.
- Starbucks pays its baristas an average of $9.51 to $9.60 per hour.
- Disneyland pays its attractions hostesses $9.59 an hour, to start.
- This summer, McDonald’s will raise its employee pay nationally to an average of $9.90 an hour.
- Michael Kors pays its salespeople an average of $9.96 to $10.80 per hour.
- The California State Assembly pays some of its office assistants $10.00 per hour.
- Best Buy pays its sales associates an average of $10.49 to $10.54 per hour.
- Certified pharmacy technicians at Target start out at $10.96 per hour.
- Gerawan Farming pays all its workers a base pay of $11.00 an hour.
- The Agricultural Labor Relations Board pays its personnel specialist, Kristine Kaney, $11.88 per hour ($24,700 per year, or $475 per week).
- The average wage for field laborers at Gerawan Farming is $12.07 per hour.
- Gerawan Farming pays its grape packers an average of $15.35 per hour.