UFW exempts itself from new overtime law

UFW rigged California's overtime law to make itself look good - but not to help farmworkers.

UFW used its influence with politicians to exempt itself from California’s new overtime law. “They’ve changed the rules of the game, which now they’re excluded from, but everyone else has to comply. So, they’ve literally re-written the rules to put themselves in safer because they don’t have to comply and everyone else does,” Assemblyman Devon Mathis told CBS Fresno. The UFW claims that that’s a lie. So CBS ran the wording…

Continue reading

Alegria de la Cruz: Another UFW loyalist on ALRB

UFW-ALRB lawyer Alegria de la Cruz, in UFW cap.

More proof that yet another leader of the Agricultural Labor Relations Board (ALRB) is a UFW loyalist. Alegria de la Cruz, in this undated picture, is an ALRB attorney. She supervised the votes of more than 2,400 Gerawan farmworkers to de-certify the UFW in 2013. De la Cruz is shown in this picture, standing at the center in the back, wearing a UFW hat. This must have been a special occasion…

Continue reading

UFW sexism and homophobia drove lesbian organizer out of union

LGBT UFW homophobia

Many union organizers have objected to the United Farm Workers’ old-boy network that they say marginalizes women, indigenous people, and political progressives. They’ve kept their complaints quiet for fear of upsetting the political establishment in Sacramento. Those politicians, led by Senator Kevin de Leon and Governor Jerry Brown, have pretended not to notice the UFW’s backwardness. But some organizers have been vocal. A lesbian Indigenous former UFW organizer writes that…

Continue reading

UFW is the new One Percent

Part of the one percent: UFW President Arturo Rodriguez and Wall Street's Hillary Clinton.

The UFW has organized only 1 percent of farmworkers in California and is deficient in many ways. Yet it’s moving its operations offshore to Mexico and Central America to organize cheap labor for big business like Costco. Farmworkers are being sold out. What about the other 99 percent? With its membership just a fraction of what it was and almost no organizing in California fields, the United Farm Workers has…

Continue reading

By its own figures, UFW represents only 1% of farmworkers

UFW 99%

It’s official. By the UFW’s own figures, it is part of the 1%. We are the 99%. The UFW claims to have only about 10,000 members. UFW co-founder Dolores Huerta now says that there are “more than one million California farm workers.” Ten thousand is 1 percent of one million. Pick Justice is the 99 percent. End of argument.

Continue reading

UFW can’t unite Sacramento Democrats on overtime bill

The UFW isn’t as powerful as people like to think. It can’t even unite Democrats in Sacramento to support its controversial overtime legislation. As of now, 15 Democrats in the state assembly do not support AR 1066. The bill, promoted as a way to get workers more money, would actually hurt them as well as their employers. That’s why the Democrats are so divided. “Eight Democrats voted against the overtime…

Continue reading

Dolores Huerta describes how UFW is moving its operations offshore

Civil rights leader Dolores Huerta speaks to Gerawan farmworkers who ask her for her help in getting the ALRB to count their votes to decertify the UFW.

UFW is focusing its operations offshore, union co-founder Dolores Huerta says. Huerta tells The Progressive, “the UFW is taking action in Mexico, Central, and South America against miserable farm worker pay and conditions and is working to produce safer, higher quality food while improving wages and other protections.” Huerta has come a long way from the days that she denounced foreign-born farmworkers as “wetbacks.” Agricultural Labor Relations Board Chairman William…

Continue reading

UFW-backed overtime bill will cost farmworkers 20 hours’ pay a week

Farmworkers are entitled to work up to 60 hours a week under present law. A UFW-backed measure to slash the work day to 40 hours a week will cost workers up to one-third of their income, according to a column in the Sacramento Bee. The union argues that employers will be forced to pay overtime above 40 hours a week, so the extra 20 hours a week on overtime pay…

Continue reading